Friday, September 20, 2013

Vegan MoFo VII: Breakfast Quesadilla


First.  This was supposed to be Redemption Week, but I've been dealing with a lot of stuff involving my injury since last Friday.  So, to make up for it...I give you two posts today!

The other day I was talking to my friend, Adrian, and he starts bragging about how he made his girlfriend breakfast.  I generally just roll my eyes because he kinda lives to troll me.  Eventually, I indulge him and ask just what the heck he made.  Two words: breakfast quesadilla.

My mind starts dancing.  What?!  Is it like a forking breakfast taco?!  But...in quesadilla form?!  And, yes.  Yes it is.  He's not vegan, so I knew the task was mighty, but I had to conquer this sexy beast.  His simple instructions: jack, black beans, avocado, fried egg...all in a jalapeno-cilantro flour tortilla.

avocado, black beans, scrambled 'fu, and mozzarella daiya
I made this thing twice that day.  First, I did straight up, basic fried tofu slices.  They were a bit too thick, so I opted for scramble next time.  Worked perfectly.  This isn't a recipe but I'll give you the beautiful steps.

Adrian's Veganized Breakfast Quesadilla
Jalapeno cilantro or regular flour tortillas
vegan cheese, NOT optional
Scrambled tofu (tofu, nooch, kala namak or sea salt, black pepper)
Black beans, rinsed and drained
vegan sour cream, optional
pico de gallo, optional

real love...I'm searching for a real love...someone to make me quesadillas
Put this together like any other quesdilla.  Tortilla, cheese, filling, cheese, tortilla.  Once it's done cooking, top with sour cream and pico de gallo.  Next time...I'm adding bac'n bits and pickled jalapeno.  I love me some breakfast quesadillas.  I'm still loyal to my breakfast tacos, though.  Take it away, Mary...


3 comments:

vegan.in.brighton said...

Oh hell yeah, I need to make one of these when I get home!

x said...

Yum!! I have not had brekky tacos so now I need to make them and this - it looks amazing!

Unknown said...

I've never seen something so beautiful lol.